Thursday, December 1, 2016

8 Days of Holiday Cards! - Day 1: Yeti It's Cold Outside

December 1st is finally here, and I'm excited to share some of my 2016 holiday card designs! Each year, I begin making my cards in July (to celebrate Christmas in July, obviously!). I typically start with taking inspiration from some fantastic ideas I've found online from others who have the same or similar papercrafting supplies, and then as I play with my supplies, find my own creations. The cards I'll be showcasing are more from my own designs and imagination. :)

My first card to share made use of the Lawn Fawn Yeti Set Snow set. I'd wanted the set for a few years, and finally got around to buying it this past year, with plans to use it for my holiday cards.

I started by making the scene you'd see through the round 'window', beginning with the Forest Border panel on Paper Source Superfine White cardstock and layering it on top of the Stitched Hillside Border panel (with Paper Source Paper Bag cardstock for the mountains and the same Paper Source Superfine White  for the snowcaps), and adding the light blue plaid from the 6x6 Lawn Fawn Perfectly Plaid Summer pack for the sky. I also ran a piece of Paper Source Spruce coverweight paper through my Evolution die cut machine to make the stitched circle frame for my round window border. After adhering the panels for my scene together with my tape runner, I ran them through my diecut machine with a circle die that matched the same size as my stitched circle frame die. I finished the window by adding the stitched circle frame on top.

On another piece of Paper Source Pure White coverweight paper, I stamped the yeti and his ear muffs/headphones with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink, then colored him in with colored pencils and used the coordinating Lawn Cuts dies to cut him out. I laid all of my elements on my card front to determine my preferred placement, and then stamped the music notes and the sentiment directly onto the Paper Source Superfine White A2 Folded Notecard. I scattered some foam squares around the back of my window scene, and adhered it to the front of the card. I then used my tape runner to adhere the yeti, making sure to tuck him in behind the window so he's popping out.

I wanted another sentiment inside, and wanted to use my Lawn Fawn Love You a Latte set (since it's clearly my favorite...), so I stamped the hot chocolate mug, the happy holidays sentiment, and the mustachioed face with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink on the inside. I figured the round window could be in the kitchen, and the recipient of my card could be enjoying some hot cocoa while looking outside - completely unaware of the yeti in the distance. :)

Join me tomorrow for another card!

No comments:

Post a Comment