Sunday, May 17, 2015

DIY Prism Art

I just finished creating this DIY artwork for my office! I used Paper Source coral and mint coverstock, Rifle mint floral wrap, and the prism EK Tools punch to make the triangles, then mounted most with thermoweb tape runner and popped a few up with thermoweb 3D foam squares - all from #papersourceaustin! #papersource #dosomethingcreativeeveryday

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Lawnscaping Challenge #105: Watercolors (Entry 3)

For my last entry, I used a large round die with the globe die and partially diecut a window from the front of an A2 folded notecard, then stamped the globe (from Wish You Were Here) and colored it in with distress inks and a paintbrush. I used distress inks with a sponge to create the ombre background on another A2 panel, then adhered to the back (on the inside of the A2 folded notecard), and finished with stamping the sentiment.

This post is being submitted for Lawnscaping Challenge # 105 - Watercolors.

Lawnscaping Challenge #105: Watercolors (Entry 2)

My second entry for Lawnscaping Challenge # 105 - Watercolors also used the Stuck On You dies and stamps, along with distress inks. I added a rainbow of distress inks to a large clear stamping block, dampened it with a spray bottle, and pressed it facedown to an A2-sized piece of cardstock to create the soft watercolored panel. I then trimmed it 1/4 inch on both sides so I could center it on an A2 folded notecard to create the 1/8 inch border. I sent this piece through my Evolution die-cut tool with the two cacti from Stuck On You to create the windows, then stamped the cacti through these windows onto the A2 card before mounting with 3M Double-sided foam tape. I also stamped and die-cut the flowers and pots to add to the watercolor panel. I like the reverse dimension of this card!

This post is being submitted for Lawnscaping Challenge # 105 - Watercolors.

Lawnscaping Challenge #105: Watercolors (Entry 1)

One of my favorite techniques-of-the-moment is using distress inks to create a watercolor effect, so the Lawnscaping challenge was a perfect fit! For my first project, I used the Stuck On You set with dies, and used the Tag You're It larger die upside-down to create my window. I partially die-cut the window and the pot to give the effect of a pot sitting on a window ledge, then die-cut the cactus and tiny succulent to place in the pot.

Using three distress ink colors, I made the sky background. I couldn't decide if I wanted the ombre effect with the pink closer to the bottom or the top (my initial plan was pink on bottom, but I decided to flip it at the last minute when adhering the pieces together). I adhered the watercolored paper to a folded notecard (custom-sized and slightly smaller than a traditional 4-bar card) with a taperunner, and then adhered the window and potted plants piece with 3M double-sided mounting tape. I like using this as it's slightly thinner than traditional foam squares, and I can easily tear it into strips of desired length to cover the bulk of the window panel.

On the inside of the card, I stamped three succulents from the Stuck On You set, and opted to exclude a sentiment. I sent the card today as an encouragement card to a friend going through a tough time.

Here's the finished product from the side, so you can see the depth, and the succulents inside. Enjoy! :)

This post is being submitted for Lawnscaping Challenge # 105 - Watercolors.